Dr. Ray Ortlund joined us for our 2019 annual retreat and delivered a timely encouragement to our Summit Collaborative pastors. The churches we long for will require diligence and wisdom in doctrine, culture, and spirituality.
Michael Jongkind of The Summit Church in Raleigh-Durham, NC addresses five considerations for planting with people you consider friends. The secret to success here comes in how you execute and delegate.
- Address the relationship before you plant.
- Gain support with an execution rhythm. Michael highly recommends The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals.
- Set only a couple of big goals.
- Focus on the lead measures.
- Have a cadence of accountability.
- Have a scorecard.
- Learn to delegate well. Recommended resource: Busy Managers Guide to Delegation
- Give clear instructions.
- Assign an owner.
- Give a deadline.
- Rinse and repeat.
- Master the art of quick affirmations and corrections. Recommended resource: One Minute Manager
- Essential to leader development.
- See it and say it.
- Listen and learn. Recommended resource: Celeste Headlee TED Talk “10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation”
- Get comfortable with not being the smartest in the room.
- Actively listen.
Make sure you watch the video for more insight and encouragement from these points.